Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Not What They Seem


It turns out what I thought was a steelwalk is actually a plastic and aluminum walk.  These have been on the sand right next to the frames all along.  I imagined great rolls of steel somewhere in a storage area. Nope.  These were in plain sight.

We're supposed to get snow soon.  I don't know how many bike rides I'll be able to go on before then.  I almost didn't ride today because rain and chains don't mix, but it was only sprinkling.  I'm glad I went. 

Seagulls can be very entertaining.  They seem braver than geese. 

I have been thinking a lot about how things aren't always as they seem.  It's easy to make faulty assumptions about people and events. 

We watched a LDS Youtube for family home evening last night, "Oh How I Love Thee," with Elder Jeffery R. Holland where he says we should assume the best about people rather than the worst.  He says we need to learn to love people the way the Savior loves people.  That's not always easy to do, but it's true.


I've been thinking a lot about love.  I'm not sure, but I don't think anybody ever gets enough.  No one human can completely fill that great need for someone else all of the time.  Most suffer from a lack of love to one degree or another at some point.  We go on anyway and many claim or blame dysfunction of one sort or another.  Maybe recognizing that lack of love is a very common problem makes it easier to bear.

"Love is worth the pain," someone said to me recently.  I don't like to need people and loving people isn't always easy because we get hurt.  I'm good at pain avoidance.  Fear of pain can keep people isolated.  I'm not always good at loving, but I'm learning.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

Important thoughts on love. I've been slowly rereading Pres. Uchtdorf and Elder Oaks conference talks on love, pondering a section at a time. God's love should be the pattern.