Monday, December 21, 2009

R is for Rat


It was the art teacher's idea-- to make a rat.  She also suggested a rocket, robot, or racoon.  I made sketches.  The rat turned out best.  The clay version was much more difficult than I thought it would be.  It looks more like an oppossum.  But a kid in the class asked, "What's that's supposed to be, a rat?"  So I guess it's okay.

A couple of months ago, I'd volunteered to help in my daughter's art class a couple of times. A visiting artist is making a mural with story tiles the children have made.  The art teacher wanted all the parent volunteers to come back in and make a letter.  Four days ago, I didn't have courage to go to the elementary school and do this.  I ignored the art teacher's e-mail.  Four days ago, I was too afraid to choose courage.  Sometimes, if you think about something long enough, it starts to feel possible.  I had no idea my daughter had art class today.  She made three little kittens in a basket a month or so ago. She's glazing it now.  It was fun to see her, to sit by her.

As I was about ready to walk out the door, the teacher said, "I"ll let you know when we're glazing."

I thought to myself, "You mean I have to come back??!!"  I was hoping I was done with that 'possum rat forever, that I'd accomplished my task of courage for the week.  Apparently, I'll have to muster courage to go back and glaze the thing. 

2 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I have never thought of you as lacking courage. Acting as if is a good start.

Ken Babcock said...

Good to be in on school activities. The teachers need the help, and the children need to know you care!
Love, Dad