Friday, December 4, 2009

What Won't Fail You


This morning, I was craving exercise.  What a great feeling.  The sun was partly shining.  It was 41 degrees.  Did I go biking?  No.  Shock.  I really wanted a tougher workout and to read the conference Ensign on the treadmill.  But I couldn't find the Ensign anywhere.  So, I thought I'd listen to music.  But my iPod was dead and I couldn't find anybody else's.  I refused to listen to the radio.  I searched for the Ensign again.  Eventually, I said a little searching prayer and I found it tucked in my primary binder.

Now that I'm getting older, things are starting to fail me.  My hearing is going-- in my right ear especially.  My eyes are getting worse-- I can actually see better up close because the farsightedness is catching up with the nearsightedness.  I can't multitask like I used to.  I can't remember things like I used to.  Though I'm feeling great physically, thanks to watching what I eat, daily exercise, and general health, I worry about the things that are weakening.

This morning, on the treadmill, I read Elder Holland's conference talk about the Book of Mormon.  I love how he finished his talk:

"Remember this declaration by Jesus Himself: 'Whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived' --and in the last days neither your heart nor your faith will fail you." 

As I read that, I was flooded with peace.  My heart and my faith will not fail me if I treasure up the words of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Jane Babcock said...

Nice thoughts in your blog. It reminded me -- I felt impressed last week that "the iron rod is the word of God" also means that the iron rod that we need to hold onto is Christ, who is "the word".