Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Creative Truth


I turned in the cycling stories to my teacher.  I'm waiting for the grade and working on the next lesson.  The new lesson is all about truth in nonfiction.  For the sake of a story, authors of nonfiction sometimes find themselves distorting the truth or making things up.  Sometimes it's disturbing to find out something presented as truth isn't true.  Sometimes it's not necessarily untrue; we remember events differently than other people; we all have our own perspectives.  Sadly, some people outright lie and call it a memoir.

For my next assignment, I'm supposed to write about a memory that is hazy; if someone else remembers the experience differently, all the better.  Roger and I remember the day we met differently.  He says, "Love at first sight."  I say, "He was not impressed.  In fact, he seemed a little disturbed."  I may write about that experience.  I'd like more childhood memories if anyone wants to remind me of one.  Honestly, most of my memories feel hazy.

I'm embarrassed to say I did some truth-distorting in my last assignment.  It was hard not to, especially when I was writing other people's stories.  I wasn't there.  I had to approximate and interpret what they might have seen, the dialog they described, and their feelings about the events.  I had to fill in the blanks.  Even in my own tales, I said I have a "friend" named Maxim, when he's really just a person I quoted from the internet.  I promise, if I met Maxim we'd be instant friends!  I liked what he said that much.  And then there's the story where I combined two turtle-sighting biking experiences.  One turtle (the one in the picture above) survived.  The other didn't.  Both stories are true, so the whole thing feels true to me.  I was trying to make a point.  Two separate turtle stories wouldn't have worked. 

I need to practice being as honest as possible in my nonfiction writing. On the other hand, sometimes a creative retelling feels closer to the truth than freezing facts.

3 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I have read some very "TRUE" stories, packaged as fiction, that felt more real and accurate than newspaper articles. Perspective differences change everything...If you can find an edited "Run, Lola, Run" shows the same story three times, three ways, makes that same point. The missing stuff matters. All the more important to have a great editor, or be able to self-edit. Capture the essentials to communicate the story with enough details to keep it interesting and uniquely-voiced.

I am glad you are writing! I would still love to read your stories, if you post them.

Deb in UT said...

Ha ha. I'm assuming you mean the rest of the cycling ones? Let's see what kind of grade I get.

Jane Babcock said...

Personal histories are ALWAYS edited by our perceptions and sometimes re-edited as we get older and wiser.

We never make note of everything. It would be boring and confusing if we did. I woke from my dream (describe), I opened my eyes, I closed my eyes, I opened my eyes, I thought about breathing, etc. You would never get anywhere.

We choose what we pay attention to. Older world history was written with an eye to the hand of God in our lives. Modern world history has been written with cause and effect in mind.