My children can spend hours playing in the snow. Where do they get the energy? Where do they get the desire?
I've been thinking about motivation for a while now. Today, I read the essay "To Fashion a Text" by Annie Dillard for my writing class. Her words are specific to writing, but can apply to other aspects of life. Her words validate my thoughts. Dillard says:
"What impels the writer is a deep love for and respect for language, for literary forms, for books...Writing a book is like rearing children-- willpower has very little to do with it. If you have a little baby crying in the middle of the night, and if you depend only on willpower to get you out of bed to feed the baby, that baby will starve. You do it out of love. Willpower is a weak idea; love is strong."
Willpower, self-discipline, can get you pretty far, but it's certainly overrated. Love is definitely more powerful.
I love to read. I love words. Even more, I love truth. I'm more driven by truth than words and books. Trying to understand what's true or wanting my truth to be understood often motivates me to write. I love truth.
My children love playing. They love snow. They love building things. That makes it easy for them to ignore the discomfort of cold. That helps them find the energy to run around outside knocking down icicles, crashing into snow mounds, building snowmen, and digging caves.
I'm thinking that whatever needs motivating needs more love.
Now I'm wondering how to increase my love for a clean and organized environment and for healthy living, among other things. Ideas?

6 comments:
Sometimes I forget that I love something because all I remember is how difficult it is to take care of. And then I just push myself to start doing it--whatever it is--and soon I remember how much I loved it!
Good point. I actually do love clean and organized places and how I feel AFTER taking care of certain things. Sometimes, I guess you just gotta do it to feel the love.
So that's why commitment (an aspect of loyalty) is important. It can help get you to do things even when they are difficult. = loyalty + devotion, previous post.
I think you also need a reason and a deadline as well as love. Think about how much easier it is to clean before a party or an important visitor. I am in the process of cleaning and organizing every day because in preparation for important events-- motivation is high. But it helps that I love Becca and Simon and Steven and Alysa and my companion Ken and the Lord.
Ah, the list expands and makes sense. Reasons and deadlines definitely help. Thanks!
Thanks for this post. I have a new definition of what projects to keep, and which ones need new homes (my small quilting group is going to have a swap, so something I have started and don't still LOVE, will go to a new, loving home). It frustrates me that I can't do everything. I have to rate how much I enjoy/love a project and let go of the likes, kind of admire pile and concentrate on the ones that excite my passions, inspire me, feel "right," resonate, fulfill my mission in life and goals. Short-term trendy fluff gets in my way and distracts me from the important, passionate, love-it stuff.
And I want to read more of your writing. Trust me with your stories, please. (I say that because I want to be thanked on your dedication book page!)
Post a Comment