Thursday, March 4, 2010

Enthusiasm

I like this heart my son brought home yesterday from school.  He said, "Everybody else was making hearts like this..." and then he went limp. 
He made a happy heart and that made my heart happy. 

I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's "Happiness Project" blog for a while now.  Yesterday, she posted this:
“Enthusiasm is a terrific quality. The more I think about happiness, the more I value enthusiasm. It can seem cooler and smarter to be ironic, detached, or critical, and it’s certainly much easier and safer to adopt that sort of stance. But enthusiasm is more fun. Enthusiasm is generous, positive, energetic, and social. It’s outward-turning and engaged. It’s unselfconscious, warm-hearted, and kind of goofy."

In the Special Features of the movie "Bright Star," Jane Campion (writer and director) says, "“You need to kind of build up your enthusiasm so that it’s higher than your fear.”  It sounds even truer with a British accent.

5 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Sounds wise and relevant to our situation. Thank you

Lisa Chin said...

His heart is enthusiastic and fabulous! What a clever kid you've got there. I hope you frame the heart as a reminder.

Jennilyn said...

I like your happiness blog recommendation. How did I not know about this earlier in the year when she started the challenges. My small quilt group is doing the get rid of UFO one--the unfinished burdens, projects we store and the burden that brings, if we can just let go and decide, we will feel better (or plunge in and finish it!).

BobandLu said...

I can picture his body language. Great, funny kid! Thanks for the Happiness Project quote. Well said.
I've not seen Bright Star. I'll have to look it up.

Jane Babcock said...

I think enthusiasm lets the light of our spirits shine, getting us out from under the basket. It communicates our joy for life and an awareness of blessings. It shows we are engaged and moving forward, past fear, to what we can become.
Love, Dad