On Saturday, at our church primary activity, we'll be celebrating Pioneer Day. We're making covered wagons and log cabins. And we're making butter. I'm in charge of helping with the food activities, so I thought I should try it out to make sure everything works.
The materials needed for the covered wagons are in this "Friend" magazine under "For Little Friends" and "Marshmallow covered wagon." I cut the caramel in half because it seemed a better size. Also, you can buy giant marshmallows, but they are twice as expensive and may be too big for the cracker. If we were going to make a smaller quantity I would have tried it. Maybe. The effect might be cooler. I just used my standard milk and powdered sugar glue mixture to hold things together.
The log cabins that I found on line require milk cartons as a base. I'm sure that would be a lot easier and look better than what I did. The roof and waffle pretzels were an afterthought. Hopefully the children will come up with better ideas. I will probably also make chocolate glue for a different effect.
My son wanted rootbeer barrels. After we bought them, I realized they might be cute on the covered wagons. It's on the side in this picture, but I moved it to the back of the wagon. It looks kinda cute there.



2 comments:
Cute stuff. No branch celebration here. We will personally remember pioneers as we join the islanders in meeting the cruise ship on Saturday. We figure the locals will be out in force and eager to talk.
Great ideas! I hope it all went well. Last year we went to California over the 24th of July weekend and one of my daughters wondered where there would be fireworks. I had to remind her that it's a Church/Utah holiday and therefore the state of California wouldn't be participating. haha
Post a Comment