Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why

My kids think I'm weird.  The flowers are in a huge pickle jar.  I have six of these jars.  I envision filling them all with flowers and putting them on tables for a party or luncheon.  I like the idea of reusing things.  I like the patterns on the glass.  I like how flowers look in clear glass.  I like the size of these.  That's why I've saved the pickle jars. 

I watched a TED talk by Simon Sinek this morning.  He talks about what he calls "The Golden Circle."  It's actually a bulls-eye.  The smallest circle in the middle he labels "why."  Then there is the "how" circle around that smallest circle and the "what" circle around them both.  He says less-successful businesses focus on the end product.  Successful marketing begins with the inside, the purpose, and moves to the outside circle of the product.  People want to know why a product matters.  They want to know beliefs and motivations.  They can be moved by vision.  If they feel the same way, if they have the same beliefs, they'll likely be drawn to the product.  

I believe creators of all types might find success the same way.  If we focus on the end result without a vision and understanding of our motive or purpose then it is very possible to fail or quit.  Self-confidence, belief in oneself and what one is doing, that inner vision matters.  It is motivating and sustaining.  Why do I do the things I do?  What do I really care about and believe in enough to make happen?  What is my dream or passion and why?  I've been thinking about that all day.

The other week, my youngest daughter asked me, "Why do you buy flowers?  It seems like a waste of money.  They die anyway and they don't matter very much."  I told her they matter to me.  They bring me joy and my joy is worth at least $5 every once in a while.  I feel happier when I look at them.  They remind me that I live in a beautiful world.   I told her that's why I like to grow flowers too.  Ideally, I would grow all of them all the time instead of having to buy them.  I bring them inside because that's where I spend most of my time.  She didn't seem totally convinced, but I imagine someday she'll understand.

3 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

I used to think cut flowers were a waste of money too but have since decided that they bring joy to my soul and are worth every penny. I love your flowers in the pickle jar.

Julie said...

REALLY good to think about--the "why" of things. Thank you.

Also, I am going to buy some flowers next time I am at the store. Why? Because they make ME happy too. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

That is a great jar! I really like the photograph that you took. The way you composed it among the white/gray makes the yellow pop! It makes me happy just looking at the picture.