(Found this image by Mila Zinkova on Wikipedia. Fog shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge.)I began with character exploration. I described her in a few different situations. After a week or so, I decided I didn't like her. She was too me.
I didn't want to give up. I'd made a commitment to myself to write every day and record my accomplished words here. So, I thought of a character who is prettier, stronger, smarter, and overall much more talented and interesting than I am. Since then, I've enjoyed the writing. We'll see how it goes.
It all started out with being willing to show up at the computer every day. If I hadn't, I would never have come up with the idea I'm working on now. I need to keep a "do it anyway" attitude-- to ignore the gazillion excuses that keep me from writing. After all, if I'm going to try to be a writer, I've got to write. I know it doesn't matter how long it takes. I'm enjoying the process.
1 comment:
I like the idea of beginning with character exploration. I've heard that it is the way to move into story as you discover what kind of family she has or if she has a friend etc. Ask her questions. Listen to her answers. Trust your impressions and instincts. Good luck.
Post a Comment