Really, I'm not trying to write a food blog. I just happen to really enjoy food. Last year, my friend Teresa told me she was craving fried green tomatoes. I didn't know people really ate them. So, as soon as I had some green tomatoes to give her, I did. She said they satisfied a craving she'd had for years.
.
That got my curiosity up and all of a sudden I was craving them even though I'd never had them. Now it's the end of the growing season, and my tomatoes aren't all going to ripen. I decided to try making fried green tomatoes. I thought about waiting and making them for my family, but I was really craving them. So I made them for lunch. I'm not really into fried food, but these were pretty good. They could be an acquired taste. The fried green tomatoes of my imagination were better. Maybe if I added more salt?
.
Anyway, isn't this green color amazing?! Love it.I found a recipe on-line and sort of followed it. This is what I did:
1 1/2 smallish to mediumish green tomatoes
A sprinkle of salt
1/8 cup flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon skim milk
1/2 piece of whole wheat bread made into fine dried bread crumbs (about 1/8 cup)
1/8 cup corn meal
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle salt on top and let sit for 15 minutes on a paper towel or rack. Put flour in a shallow dish. In a separate shallow dish, beat the egg. Add milk to egg and mix. In another shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, corn meal, cayenne, and pepper. Dip tomatoes into flour dish, using a fork to coat tomatoes. Dip tomatoes in egg. Cover tomatoes with bread mixture. Let sit on a rack or paper towels while heating oil and butter in a frying pan on medium heat. When the butter "sings" put tomatoes in oil. Let cook for about 3 or 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
.
Maybe they need fry sauce?
2 comments:
You can stirfry green tomatoes or use them in a kind of chutney. Lots of things can be done with them. Experiment and let us know what happens.
I like them too, but I put a lot of salt on them.
You're good at trying out new things!
Love, Dad
Post a Comment