Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Work Before Play: Trying to Motivate Myself

This summer, before we drove across the U.S. and back again, I made sure every hotel we would stay in had a swimming pool. I thought it would help the kids-- they'd be trapped in the car all day. It's easier to endure when you can look forward to something.

The above picture was taken at our first hotel pool. We had it all to ourselves. The water was really cold. I planned to take pictures and wade a little. The kids and my husband were having fun and reassured me I'd get used to the water quickly, so I gave it a chance. They were right. We played sharks and minnows and had cannon ball contests. I actually swam instead of just wading for the first time in years. I discovered I float much more easily than I did when I was a young teen. It was great fun. As it turned out, having pools to look forward to at every hotel wasn't just good for the kids. It helped me endure the long drives too.

I've started writing on this blog to help me be more accountable and more disciplined. I don't like schedules or time constraints. I don't like being told what to do. At the same time, I need to work. I need something to keep me accountable. Most of the time, I prefer the feeling I get when I "work first, play later." Today, I did it all backwards and watched a long, lovely, BBC, Hugh Dancy movie while eating ice cream and Hot Tamales instead of all the other things I was supposed to do. Even though I managed to get in a bit of writing quickly and easily, I don't feel happy about it. I didn't work hard enough. I didn't accomplish enough. I could have saved the movie and used it as a reward.

Self-discipline isn't easy. Perhaps it's time I developed a schedule and a reward system.

No comments: