I've read a lot of good books over the years. Right now, I'm reading Suzanne Collins' Gregor stories and enjoying them very much. I've discovered that when I'm reading a good book, it satisfies my need to create. Yes, the author wrote the words, but I produce the movie in my mind. I have an idea of how all the characters look and how they speak. I can see the setting. When I'm really into it, I create all the details. Not only that, but sometimes I can feel what the characters feel. I become part of the book and the book becomes part of me. It's much easier and more immediately satisyfing to create from someone else's creation.
Because I'm in the middle of creating Suzanne's movie, I really had to force myself to write my own story today. I would have much rather escaped right into reading. Fortunately, I have this place, this commitment to write every day. I managed to write some words. While I was writing, I noticed I was also mentally producing my story's movie. The images are fuzzy, the lights are dim, and sometimes I only have a flash of a picture, but everything grows more vivid when I try to describe things. I have a long, long way to go until my words are something worth watching by anyone else. I'm okay with that.
4 comments:
The Gregor books were fun. Becca and Simon just finished reading the first one aloud. I think she is going to finish them on her own and let Simon read the rest himself when he is older.
I almost said "ah-ha!" when I read this post. I've never thought of reading as being a creative experience! It really is. I'm the leader for a book group discussion this month. We read The Last Chinese Chef. It was a great read because of the different culture, but also because of descriptions of real Chinese cuisine. YUMMY creations! If you don't mind I'm going to quote you.
Lu, I don't mind at all if you quote me. I was feeling a little self-conscious about this post and now I feel better. Thanks.
Yeah, Mom, the Gregor books are a bit scary for younger children. I think I'll suggest that O. should wait a while too.
I really liked the Gregor books too. Collins shows how wanting to do the right thing can make a big difference to others.
I read visually too! It really slows me down, but I feel I'm there in the story.
I'm looking forward to your stories too! Love, Dad
Post a Comment