Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dreams


I was beginning to wonder why I bring my camera on bike rides.

We've lived here in New York for nearly five years.  This house has been empty since before we came.  It has always intrigued me.  Maybe it's because my sister and her family lived in a once-abandoned home, their "hope house."  Maybe it's the blue trim.  Today, the tree, the trim, and thinking about my sister made me stop and take this picture.

Abandoned homes are interesting.  Who lived there?  Why did they leave?  Why didn't they sell the home?  Empty homes are untold stories.

It used to be a farm house.  There are matching "no trespassing" signs all around a large area. There's a big old barn in back.  Now the home is right on the edge of a fairly busy road, probably too close.  This home, this land, was once someone's dream.

The last half of my ride, I kept thinking about abandoned dreams and some of the good and bad reasons people leave them. Many reasons.  I finally decided maybe it doesn't matter what happens to a dream as much as it matters to have one. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Jane Babcock said...

There might be some good material there for a story. Love, Dad

Jennilyn said...

I love the color of this tree--and the blue trim is super! I would love to read more about your thougts, your STORIES! And dreams, yes. Good thoughts.