I'm speaking in church on Sunday. Maybe that's why I woke up in the middle of the night with one of those nightmares where I am completely unprepared for a test at school. I was so relieved to realize it was just a dream. There was a Calculus test I would be taking on Monday and I was going to fail. I hadn't studied at all. I hadn't even attended one class or opened the book. I was worried about how another incomplete would look on my transcript. I was racking my brain, trying to remember what little I remember about advanced math. You'd never guess that I used to be good at math. All this because of anxiety about public speaking and not feeling prepared. Along with all the other things I've been doing, I've written most of my talk during the week, but I keep putting off finishing it. No wonder I'm feeling anxious.
Happy Weekend! I think I'll be a lot happier when this one is over.
3 comments:
You will be great! You are a gifted speaker and writer, and I know the Spirit will be there testifying of truth for you! Relax, and remember to smile while you are up there on the seats. People will be watching you...and you have a great smile!
Thank you, Jenni. I needed that encouragement this morning.
I've had recurring dreams like that, where it's time to graduate and I realize I haven't been attending any of my classes or I go in to take a final and I haven't even read the class material. These dreams seemed so real I'd wake up confused and worried that I got in trouble.
Feeling incompetent or vulnerable to criticism isn't very fun, especially when you are expected to go up in front of a lot of people. Fortunately, no one brings tomatoes to Church.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment