Yesterday, during General Conference, Elder Christofferson talked about the importance of teaching children how to serve one another and how to sacrifice for the comfort of others. I knew right away that we need to do a better job teaching those principles to our children. He said it takes "constant teaching, mostly by example." I believe that.Tonight we are having family home evening. When my husband and I were discussing what to teach, my husband said, "They need more practice than preaching." He's right.
Inspiration came to me in the form of warm fuzzies.
Yesterday, President Monson mentioned a primary sent him a jar full of warm fuzzies. Each warm fuzzy represented an act of service or kindness that the primary children did for someone. I decided that a jar like that might help our little ones (and the rest of us) practice service and sacrifice for the people in our family.
President Monson's jar is very big. I realized it would take a very very long time for us to fill a jar like that. Not to mention the cost of the quantities of warm fuzzies we'd need. We'd probably grow weary and forget about it. I wanted something that would take about a month to fill if everyone put in one fuzzy a day. So, we're going to use a smaller jar. Once it's full, we'll take the kids out for donuts and white hot chocolate and talk about how warm and fuzzy we feel inside.
I spent a lot of time putting this project together (I had to go buy warm fuzzies), finding stories, and otherwise getting all ready for tonight. My writing time and other goals suffered. That's okay, I took a step toward my number one goal and I still managed to write a few words.
2 comments:
Good project. I like the size of the jar.
Good you picked up on that idea. I think children like to see they're making progress towards a goal. And the principle of service is good to learn.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment