Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Choices

Stereotypes are useful teaching tools.  Last night in family home evening, we used these puppets to talk about Mr. Wickedness and Mr. Happiness.  We described the choices that both of these guys make and the effects on their lives.  Then we read Alma 41:10-11 and Mosiah 2:41 which illustrate things about wickedness and happiness.  It's true, wickedness never was happiness.  Sometimes we might feel tired of or inconvenienced by the things we need to do to maintain and strengthen our spirituality.  Lasting happiness and peace are worth it.

About the felt puppets:  They were made a long time ago.  We've made many over the years.  They are easy and fun to make.  Sarah made the face of the green-haired one for a school project.  It was Medusa.  I helped sew the pipe-cleaners into the seam for the hair.  It felt experimental at the time, but it worked fabulously.  The outfit Sarah made was not #5.  Medusa wore a dress.  I made #5 for a different puppet.  I also made the other puppet and his clothes.  The eyebrows, mustache, and soul patch were added later, probably by Sarah.  He was turned into a pirate, again, probably for a school project.  Originally, he was a daddy.  To me, they both look happy and wicked in different ways, so I won't tell you who represented who in our fhe.

3 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

Great puppets! I think they can be a great teaching tool for children.
Love, Dad

Lisa Chin said...

I substituted for the CTR 6 class on Sunday and these puppets would have been a big hit for the lesson I taught about making righteous choices.

I can see where either "man" could have been used as righteous or wicked. I remember a missionary teaching a Gospel Principles class when I was a Freshman in College and he used a picture of a man from the front of a GQ magazine to represent Satan. ;) That image has always stuck with me!

BobandLu said...

I think we're going to have to make some puppets! The kids are going to love that. Thanks for the great idea.