"Do you want to play a game with me?" I asked him.
"What game?"
"Whoever picks up the most things wins. Every crayon, sock, book, toy, or whatever, counts as one thing. You have to put everything where it belongs. You can't take anything away from someone else. We'll set the timer for 15 minutes. Whoever wins gets to choose the treat that we'll eat together. Ready, set, here goes the timer."
We raced around the house putting away crayons, toys, papers, and shoes. We cleared off counters, couches, and table tops. It's amazing how much you can get done in a very short time when people are working together. He picked up 453 things-- even things that weren't his. His sister picked up 452 things. ( I thanked her for letting him win. ;) ) I picked up 169 things. I think. But I lost count. :) Our house was very cluttered. He won; he chose popcorn balls for our treat.
We'll definitely try this again. We had no whining and no complaining about not being responsible for any of the mess. Everybody wanted to play. I've learned sometimes it helps to change the strategy and make work fun.

1 comment:
I love the bug eyes of the treat. What a fun game. It's too bad this doesn't work with teenagers (or preteens). ;)
Post a Comment