I started reading on May 22nd of last year. Today, I finished reading the Book of Mormon for the fifth or sixth time, reading from cover to cover.
It's the second time that I've written in a scripture journal after every time I read. The first time, I chose a verse or two that I liked, that meant something to me, copied it into a notebook and then wrote my feelings. This time, I focused on principles because, as it says in the Introduction to the Book of Mormon, quoting Joseph Smith, "'A man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.'"
A precept is pretty much the same as a principle. It often follows the "If...Then.." pattern-- if I do this then I will receive that blessing or this consequence. Sometimes I read one chapter. Sometimes I had to read several before I found a principle. Sometimes I found so many wonderful principles in a chapter that it was hard to choose one, so I wrote about several. I love the Book of Mormon. It's clear to me, that it is full of true principles.
For the final precept today, I chose this verse Moroni 10:32. I know that if we come unto Christ, repent, and love God with everything we've got, then through Jesus Christ and His grace, we will be perfected and have the power of God in our lives.
Tomorrow, I'll start again. Thanks to a missionary's testimony on Sunday, I've decided to choose verses about Jesus Christ for my scripture journal. Copying the verses and writing my feelings about them helps me focus. It's also very interesting to go back and read what I've written about a particular chapter or verse last time. It helps me remember.

1 comment:
Good idea, no actually Great idea!
Post a Comment