Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lightning

The wind was blowing, the rain was pouring, and lightning cracked the sky.  That's when my 20-year-old daughter informed me she was taking my eight-year-old son to the library.

"Watch out for lightning," I said. 

She laughed. 

I was serious.

"How am I going to do that?" she said.

That's when I realized how ridiculous I am.  But "watching out for lightning" is exactly what I would have done if I'd taken my sweet boy out in weather like that.

How would I watch for lightning?

When I was somewhere between the ages of nine and twelve, my parents took us to Chicago.  I don't remember why we were there.  I do remember being outside of a big art museum. It was raining, lightning, and thundering.  We had to walk down the street to our car.  My dad told me and my siblings, "If you feel the hair on your head or on your arms rise, immediately lie down on the sidewalk."  I felt like I was practically crouch-walking all the way to the car.  Every second, I thought I might be feeling the hair on my arms rise.  I watched my dad closely to see if his hair was rising or if he was on his way down to the sidewalk.  I was prepared to dive down after him. 

Ever since then, whenever I'm outside during a big lightning storm, I think about that experience.  Isn't it ridiculous?  What are my chances of getting hit by lightning?  Is there a possibility that I could hit the ground on time to avoid a lightning strike if one was determined to come for me?  Perhaps if I was on top of a bald mountain it would make a difference, but in the middle of a big city?  I doubt it.

I have lived too much of my life as if I was metaphorically walking through a lightning storm.  There is much to fear in this world.  It's important to be appropriately cautious and prepared to take wise action.  At the same time, we can go too far.  I am tired of crouch-walking through life.

4 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Very well said.

Jennilyn said...

I was out working and got drenched yesterday. Made my way back to car, started for home. The military gate closest to our home was closed, so I had to go the long way around. Quarter-sized balls of hail started hitting the windshield. I called home, got Emma, asked if there was a tornado warning? That is my big fear from childhood experiences. Hail=big bad storm. I could barely see driving, windshield wipers on high. Scariest storm to date that I've driven through. In minutes, the sky cleared, sun out, and I was back at work, knocking doors. I was glad for the clearing, the peace after the storm.

I don't think you are silly for being worried about real things. So much can go wrong. You are cautious, a good thing. Our kids will just know what we are concerned about as we give them advice on what to look out for in life!

hannaH said...

My math teacher told me that she got struck by lightening...well actually she said that she was standing near someone that got struck by lightening, but that lightening has like a ten food radius. Idk if I believe her or not.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

I like reading your stories. I like how you connect them to the present.