Thursday, June 24, 2010

Regaining and Relosing

Last June, after a year of hard work, I reached my goal of losing fifty pounds.  I've gained back half of them, but I've also gained a new perspective.  So now, I want to lose them again in a healthier way.  I'm a reloser.  But I'm also a regainer-- trying to regain healthy habits.

Today, I hopped on the treadmill after a two-and-a-half month absence.  I didn't mean to be gone that long, but I was sick for a month.  It's so easy to lose good habits.  Sadly, the "calorie destroyer" program from December 2008 Family Circle Magazine that I have taped to my treadmill was really difficult this morning.  A few months ago, it was easy.  I'd have to do it for sixty minutes instead of thirty just to feel like I had a good workout.  Today, thirty minutes was plenty.  The program alternates between going fast on a low incline and slower with increased incline.  Of course, walking outside is more pleasant, but it's been raining a lot lately.  I've also been staying up too late to wake up early enough to walk. 

I also went on a half-hour slow bike ride with my son this morning.  (The picture of him was actually taken last year.)  We also did some good walking around stores.  Exercising for 1 1/2 hours a day six days a week is great for us relosers. 

I've also been reading LDS Family Services Addiction Recovery Program Guide.  There's a pdf of it here.  You can also order a hard copy of it from the church catalog.  Even though it's meant for people with more serious addictions, it's really helpful to me as a reloser.

3 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

I need to join you.

Lisa Chin said...

Me too. I lost 50 lbs a couple years ago and managed to regain it all now. I'm having a difficult time getting remotivated to become a reloser. :(

Good job getting back on the treadmill and moving so much!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

You are a good example. I wanted to lose a certain amount of weight by the time I was 40, but have only lost a third of that and now I'm 40 1/2. I'm hoping to still get to my goal by the time I'm done my 40th year. It IS really hard to make good habits, and really easy to stay how you are.